The simple thought of bed bugs is often enough to make a person’s skin crawl. Bed bugs are quite resilient and are they are capable of surviving several months to a year without feeding. The best solution to a bed bug problem is to prevent bed bugs in your home or business. Once the little critters have found their way into your environment they are hard to eliminate and can cause you and your business embarrassment.
Pest professionals are contacted about bed bugs more than almost any other type of pest. There are some simple steps you can take to greatly diminish your chances of finding bed bugs in your home or business.
Precautions you can take to prevent a bed bug infestation in your home or business:
- Inspect secondhand furniture, beds, couches, chairs, desks, etc. for any signs of a bed bug infestation before bringing them into your home or business.
- Treat used furniture with insecticide sprays that kill bed bugs and their eggs on contact.
- Use a protective cover that encases mattresses and box springs to eliminate common hiding spots. The light color of the encasement makes bed bugs easier to see.
- Reduce clutter in your home or business to decrease hiding places for bed bugs.
- Bed bugs are known to hide in cardboard, so try to unpack boxes quickly and replace any cardboard boxes used for storage with plastic containers.
- Vacuum frequently to remove any successful invaders.
- Be vigilant when using shared laundry facilities. Transport items to be washed in plastic bags. Remove items from a dryer directly into a new bag and fold away from the shared location. Pro Tip: A dryer on high heat can kill bed bugs.
- If you live or work in a multi-family home or office building, try to isolate your space by:
- Installing door sweeps on the bottom of doors to discourage bed bugs from coming in from hallways.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around baseboards, light sockets, etc. This will deter movement through wall cavities.
- Install bed bug interceptors on furniture around your home or office. These are special platforms or cups that you place under each foot of a piece of furniture which helps to prevent bed bugs from climbing up your furnishings.
While the best solution to a bed bug problem is to prevent bed bugs in your home or business, you may follow every step for prevention and still end up with a visit from these resilient pests. At Delving Pest Control, we can treat both recently discovered and prolonged bed bug infestations.
The leading, proven way to rid your home or office space of bed bugs for good is with heat and thermal treatment. Delving Pest control is the leading discreet bed bug exterminator in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan. Our vehicles are unmarked for your privacy and all you need is, a free inspection and strategy to help eliminate your bed bug issues.
Our professionals can explain what services are right for you and tell you more about our costs for services. Contact us today for a free estimate.