Summer is the season in Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan that we spend as much time as possible outdoors. From cookouts, yard games, campfires, to days just sitting around enjoying the warm air, we are outside a lot throughout the next few months. If you are hosting an outdoor gathering, one of the things you probably struggle the most with is how you can keep those unwanted pesky visitors away (we are talking about insects and other pests). When you have people over, you want to keep your guests free of stinging and biting insects, keep pests off your food, and want to ensure everyone has an enjoyable time. Let’s review some tips for having an insect free outdoor party.
Tips for Having an Insect Free Outdoor Party
Wouldn’t it be nice if pests just went away when the weather turned warmer? Unfortunately, as we all know, that is not the case, and in fact, insects seem to ramp up their game during this time of the year. In Ohio and Michigan, ants, flies, wasps, bees, hornets, mosquitoes, ticks, and more, seem to want to enjoy outdoor time, just as much as we do.
With pests so lively in the warm air, how can you have an insect free outdoor party? Below we have some tips to help you make your next gathering the talk of the town, in a good way.
- Ensure there is no standing water. Standing water is the enemy in your battle against bugs and insects, as it’s the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes, and, as we have reviewed before, one of the main attractions for all pests and rodents. Make sure your yard and areas around the outside of your home are clear of water. Even the tiniest bit of water and dampness can attract these critters.
- Cover and move your trash. Garbage cans are the perfect breeding and feeding grounds for many pests. Make sure to keep your garbage and recycling covered at all times and away from the area you are entertaining in. If there will be trash created at the party, your guests can walk a little ways to throw their items out, just be sure the lids are always put back on the containers.
- Keep a manicured lawn. Tall grass and other over grown greenery, such as bushes, can really prevent you from having an insect free outdoor party. Be sure to keep your yard mowed and other greenery trimmed. Overgrown brush and weeds can provide great habitats and hiding areas for a slew of insects and other pests.
- Always have food covered. Just like pests like to eat your cereal and pantry items, outdoor food items can create a feast for these food loving critters. Be sure to keep all food items under a cover at all times. If guests are getting food, make sure covers are replaced between each person. If you have a netted tent, that’s a great way to add an extra line of protection. Place your food in that area. Keep in mind, the food in the tent should still be covered because insects can get in even the smallest of places.
- Use sealed drink containers. Most of these summer loving pests also love things that are sweet. At your outdoor party, that probably includes some of the beverages you are serving. By keeping all drinks in sealed containers and under some sort of lid, you are eliminating that attraction for these insects. You can cover the tops of glasses with plastic wrap and put a hole and straw in them, use glasses with lids, or only serve drinks in bottles that can be closed when not being consumed.
- Clean up throughout the event. When your guests are done with food, have empty plates, or create spills, clean up as soon as possible. The less you have laying around to attract pests the more likely you are to have an insect free party.
- Use insect repelling candles and torches. Citronella is a common smell of summer, and there is a reason. Citronella oil comes from a combination of naturally bug-repellent grasses. In candle form, it masks the scents of carbon dioxide and human lactic acid, which are so attractive to insects, and it’s perfectly safe (bob vila). The smoke from candles and torches also will help to deter insects.
When it comes to summer, having an insect free outdoor party is something that is at the top of most people’s minds. While Delving Pest Control won’t come and grill the food for you, we do offer pest control treatment programs that can help you keep away these unwanted visitors. Contact us to learn more about what we have to offer.