Summer is near. Can you feel it? If you are like most of us, you are ready to get out of your house and spend as much time as possible in the outdoors while our Ohio and Michigan weather allows for it. Gone are the days of sitting inside and longing for the sunshine and warmer temperatures. They are here and it’s time to take advantage of them. One of our favorite pastimes, during the warmer months, is eating outside. Unfortunately, as much as we love embracing feasting on some of our favorite foods in the sunrays, so do pests and rodents, and they are standing by waiting. What pests and rodents are most likely to join your picnic? Let’s review.
What Pests and Rodents are Most Likely to Join Your Picnic?
Picnic pests include: ants, bees, wasps, flies, mosquitoes, and other insects and stinging insects. These pests and rodents are not only most likely to join your picnic, they may outnumber you and your guests within minutes. If you want to avoid having to run inside with your burger in your hand, to escape these pesky critters, there are some things you can do to try and keep them away.
Below are some tips for keeping pests and rodents away from your picnic and outdoor meal or event.
- Avoid Wearing Scents That are Sweet: Pests and rodents are attracted to sweet smells. If you are going to be outdoors, avoid wearing scents that are sweet or floral, and try not to wear something that is extremely strong, as that can draw them in as well. If wearing sunscreen, opt for one that isn’t scented.
- Keep Food Covered: Be sure to keep all food items under a cover at all times. If guests are getting food, make sure covers are replaced between each person. If you have a netted tent, that’s a great way to add an extra line of protection. Place your food in that area. Keep in mind, the food in the tent should still be covered because insects can get into even the smallest of places.
- Contain Trash: Garbage cans are the perfect breeding and feeding grounds for many pests. Make sure to keep your garbage and recycling covered at all times and away from the area you are entertaining in. If there will be trash created at the party, your guests can walk a little ways to throw their items out, just be sure the lids are always put back on the containers. When your guests are done with food, have empty plates or create spills, clean up as soon as possible. The less you have laying around to attract pests the more likely you are to have an insect free meal.
- Use Sealed Drink Containers: As we mentioned, the pests and rodents that are most likely to join your picnic are attracted to sweet smells. During your picnic, keep all drinks in sealed containers and under some sort of lid. You can cover the tops of glasses with plastic wrap and put a hole and straw in them, use glasses with lids, or only serve drinks in bottles that can be closed when not being consumed.
- Use Insect Repelling Items: Citronella is a common smell of summer, and there is a reason. Citronella oil comes from a combination of naturally bug-repellent grasses. In candle form, it masks the scents of carbon dioxide and human lactic acid, which are so attractive to insects, and it’s perfectly safe (bob vila). The smoke from candles and torches also will help to deter insects.
- Pick a Well Maintained Lawn and Outdoor Space: Tall grass and other over grown greenery, such as bushes, can really prevent you from having a pest free picnic. When selecting an area for the picnic, be sure to find one with the yard mowed and other greenery trimmed. Overgrown brush and weeds can provide great habitats and hiding areas for a slew of insects and other pests. Also, make sure the area around the picnic location is clear of any water. Even the tiniest bit of water and dampness can attract these critters.
When it comes to the pests and rodents most likely to join your picnic, the concern is likely less of what they are, but more of how you can keep any of these unwanted visitors away in the first place. Following our tips above should help and so can we.
At Delving Pest Control, we are experts at preventing and eliminating pests like spiders, roaches, bees, wasps, moths, flies, ants, fleas, roaches, and more. Delving Pest Control offers local affordable revolutionary pest control solutions right to your doorstep! Pressure-free! We provide interior, exterior discreet and private pest control services for both residential and commercial properties.