Basements are known to be creepy, especially if yours is not a normal living space for you and your family. While your basement may be brightly lit and a great space to spend time, people associate these spaces with fear, due to them being below ground, usually lacking natural light, being cold and damp, and often having crawling visitors. People in your household may be scared of the basement, but most pests and rodents are not. In fact, it is one of their favorite places to take up residence; probably adding to the fright in some of your household members. What are the most common bugs found in Ohio basements?
What are the Most Common Bugs Found in Ohio Basements?
Less than 50% of homes in the country have basements; however in Ohio and Michigan, it’s very rare to find a home without one. Even if your basement is finished, it can find itself becoming visited by some unwanted guests. Bugs and insects tend to love your basement for similar reasons as to why you may find them in your bathroom. Pests and rodents generally make their way inside our homes in search of food, water, and shelter, and many of them love dark damp spaces, making your basement a great place for them to go.
Bugs and other pests can typically easily enter a basement through unsealed windows, foundation cracks, floor drains, and other areas. Your basement is, after all, in the ground, where many of these insects live.
So, what are the most common bugs found in Ohio basements? We review below. These bugs may look a tad familiar, as some of them are also some of the common bugs you may find in your bathroom.
- Silverfish: This is one of the most common bugs you may find in your basement. Silverfish are often unmistakable and not very attractive little critters. They have small, elongated bodies, three tails that resemble antennas, and are silver in color. They are incredibly fast, and their movements resemble a fish swimming, hence the name. Silverfish live and develop in damp, cool places, often in the basement, bathroom, and kitchen. They usually only come out at night, and can be found around drains and other water sources. While these bugs are not really dangerous, they are a nuisance, and can cause allergic reactions in some people.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches love basements, especially if they are unfinished and damp. Cockroaches are attracted to food and moisture and adapt readily to a variety of environments, but prefer moist conditions, something that can commonly be found in a basement. They can enter your home through your drains, cracks, etc. Cockroaches feed on sewer and drain sludge. Approximately 20% to 48% of homes and businesses with no visible sign of cockroaches have detectable cockroach allergens, meaning they are or were likely there (Wikipedia). Cockroaches carry diseases, give off unpleasant odors, aggravate allergies, ruin food, and are just overall unwanted pests.
- House Centipedes: When you talk about creepy crawly common bugs found in Ohio basements, the house centipede is at the top of the list. These centipedes have long bodies with lots of legs and a long antennae. Centipedes are predators, and house centipedes can be found in your basement because they’re searching for other insects. House centipedes can bite, but rarely do. They don’t cause harm to property or pose much of a health risk to people, they are more of just a nuisance pest that are unwelcome to see in your home.
- Spiders: It’s not uncommon to find spiders in lots of areas throughout your home, but your basement is one of the most popular places for them to live. In fact, many people fear this space in their home because they are scared that spiders may be lurking in the corners. Much like house centipedes, spiders make their way into your basement in search of other bugs to feed on. They also like being undisturbed, and for many people, their basement is out of sight and out of mind, making it a perfect home for these eight-legged pests. Some spiders can be poisonous and pose a risk to people, so if you find any spider in your space, you should always treat them as though they may be dangerous and handle their removal safely.
- Termites: Termites are small insects that live in colonies and have distinct castes (eusocial) and feed on wood or other dead plant matter. Subterranean termites are the only known type of termite to be found in Ohio and Michigan. Subterranean termites can cause the most damage of any termite species and due to their tunneling nature, they love basements. These termites are the most economically important wood destroying insects in the United States and are classified as pests. Subterranean termites build distinctive tunnels, often referred to as “mud tubes,” to reach food sources and protect themselves from open air. They eat wood 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
For many people, basements are unsettling enough, they don’t need to think about what may be hiding in the corners or causing damage to their structure. We have reviewed a few of the most common bugs found in Ohio basements, but keep in mind, insects aren’t the only pests that may take up residence in your room below the ground. Rodents can also frequently be found in these spaces.
We are experts at preventing and eliminating pests like spiders, bees, wasps, hornets, moths, flies, ants, fleas, roaches, Sasquatch, occasional invaders, and more. To help prevent pests in or around your home or place of business, Delving Pest Control offers ongoing treatment programs. Each plan is tailored to specific needs that can be bi-weekly, monthly, or quarterly.
Contact us today for a free estimate.